From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gnupg-1, gnupg-2, gpgme, & slight apology
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:53:02
1 On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 17:06 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I believe that part of distribution function is to provide a simple
5 > and maintainable
6 > system to its users.
7 >
8 > If upstream is doing something wrong, we don't have to move the problem to
9 > our users to handle, but handle/solve the problem on behalf of our user base.
10
11 Understood, I just kinda wanted to see a band aid applied for the last
12 year to save users grief. After all I am a user of gnupg and seahorse,
13 and I suffered :). But seems things have progressed well so is likely
14 moot at this point. If there is even a need. Not to mention band aid,
15 likely would not have covered the entire wound :) Thanks for your
16 efforts.
17
18 > g10 is one of the worse upstreams I have ever worked with... They keep breaking
19 > their software, and uncooperative when it comes to bug reports
20
21 That alone fully justifies pushing the problem to getting those
22 downstream of them to update to gpg2, etc. Before it seemed like forcing
23 allot of downstream projects to adapt a bit ahead of schedule. Now the
24 entire mess is allot clearer.
25
26 Thanks for undertaking such a head ache app to maintain. Sorry for any
27 flack from a users perspective there. Just because we hold -dev titles
28 and status. Doesn't mean we develop/work with every program in tree.
29 Many we just use as our users do. So let us not forget that aspect :)
30
31 Anyway again, sorry for grief, thanks for your efforts. Good luck with
32 upstream, if you don't mind. I would like to steer clear of this, and
33 leave it to crypt herd peeps :)
36 FYI, compnerd added a default xinitrc.d script to seahorse in gnome
37 overlay. Per the upstream session integration docs. Eva/EvaSDK's
38 contributed xinitrc sript :) That should allow it to work out of the box
39 as before, and with gnupg-2 :) Testing it out on a new box, but do not
40 expect any problems.
43 William L. Thomson Jr.
44 Gentoo/amd64/Java