From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug #565566: Why is it still not fixed?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 07:12:29
1 Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > That would require a local git clone. And that's exactly what those who
4 > still want Changelogs are trying to avoid.
5
6 You need even a deep git clone with full history.
7
8 Already now this means that you need 2 (or already 3?) times the
9 disk space as for an rysnc mirror; multiply all numbers by 4
10 if you used squashfs to store the tree.
11
12 In the course of the years the factor will continue to increase;
13 I guess at least by 1 for every year (there is possibility of some
14 compression of history, but OTOH, many packages are added and
15 removed, eclasses keep changing, etc.)
16
17 So in 2-3 years, it can be for some users 20 times the disk storage
18 than what it needs now.
19
20 I think there must be a very good reason to require that amount of
21 disk space on everybody's machine. ChangeLogs IMHO isn't.