From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: BCP 47 for L10N?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 12:09:05
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 >> On the other hand, there will be some cost:
3 >> - If BCP 47 tags containing a script or a variant should be used to
4 >> generate LINGUAS, they will require explicit mapping. (OTOH, such
5 >> mapping will also be needed if we stick to Gettext syntax but unify
6 >> variants like "sr@latin" and "sr@Latn".)
7 >> - Different syntax for LINGUAS and L10N might be confusing to users,
8 >> so additional documentation will be needed.
9
10 As pointed out below, users better not mess with LINGUAS anyway. But one
11 thing which might still cause confusion is that LANG and L10N use
12 different syntax if we decide for BCP 47.
15 >> Comments?
16 > I'd say BCP-47.
17
18 +1 for BCP-47
19
20 > The gettext tags aren't 100% defined anyway, so we'd end up having to choose between one upstream and another eventually, and map to the other.
21
22 Worse, gettext locales, while apparently designed to resemble POSIX
23 locales, can change at any time without notice and may be different
24 between glibc versions.
25
26 > Also, when it makes mapping L10N to LINGUAS harder, it will discourage people from abusing the latter.
29 Best regards,
30 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn