From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Soliciting input for a non-maintainer update (NMU) GLEP
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 00:17:43
1 On Friday 21 June 2013 20:06:31 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 07:40:03PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Friday 21 June 2013 14:50:54 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 > > > From what I've read on the list recently, there's a lot of demand for
5 > > > non-maintainer updates to ebuilds. Esp. with the upcoming Git
6 > > > migration, I predict there will be a much larger influx of changes
7 > > > from users.
8 > >
9 > > seems like we're somewhat approaching it the wrong way around.
10 >
11 > [Snip giant suggestions re gerrit/review-systems]
12 >
13 > I'm not going into review systems here at all, I'm simply trying to have
14 > a policy of what changes are welcomed/blocked WITHOUT interaction from
15 > the listed maintainer(s) of a given package/herd.
16
17 add a new field to metadata.xml that declares the state. make it an enum:
18 ANYTHING_GOES (the default)
19 REQUIRES_HERD
20 REQUIRES_MAINTAINER
21
22 > If they have to ask me to review a trivial patch, I've already failed
23 > them. I don't want ANY gatekeeping, I want them to go and commit it
24 > already.
25 >
26 > Then extending THAT to Gerrit, who is responsible/allowed to hit that
27 > web interface submit button?
28
29 have gerrit check metadata.xml and see if the policy declared in there lines
30 up with the gerrit approvals attained. blam, done.
31 -mike