From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Handling of LINGUAS
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:35:28
1 Hi devs,
2
3 I would like to discuss the handling of the LINGUAS
4 variable. Currently we have a couple of packages which
5 support this variable, with OpenOffice, kde-i18n and
6 mozilla-* as those with the most supported settings.
7
8 As the PowerPC-team still support a packages-CD with
9 pre-compiled packages based on the Gentoo Reference
10 Platform, I want to provide applications with pre-built
11 translations. So I set a quite large environment
12 LINGUAS-variable with the most common languages:
13
14 LINGUAS="en ar de en_GB en_US es fr it jp nl pl pt pt_BR ru
15 zh_CN zh_TW" ¹
16
17 I came until building kde-i18n, then the process died.
18 That's caused by the kde-i18n ebuild which tests the given
19 LINGUAS and dies when there is no or an unsupported language
20 set. For instance, kde-i18n does not support "en", but
21 "en_GB", Openoffice supports "en", "en_GB" and "en_US". But
22 when I omit "en" in my LINGUAS, some other packages will not
23 install this language -- and I guess you don't want your
24 FireFox in Arabic or German ;-)
25
26 I propose that package-maintainers should check and fix
27 their ebuilds, that they do not fail on unsupported given
28 LINGUAS-settings. Just strip them and continue the
29 installation.
30
31 Comments?
32
33 Regards, Lars
34
35 ¹) firefox and thunderbird set the first given language as
36 default; on the 2006.1-release I ordered a smaller list
37 alphabetically and so both applications showed a German menu
38 (as de was the first set language) on their first start.
39 Later on I added "ar" (Arabic) to the list and I had, guess,
40 everything switched from the left to the right with
41 interesting ornaments in between…
44 Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o> +49-171-1963258
45 Gentoo Linux PowerPC : Strategical Lead and Release Engineer
46 Gentoo Infrastructure : CVS Administrator