From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Services and software which is critical for Gentoo should be developed/run in Gentoo namespace
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 02:25:52
1 On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 16:05:49 -0600
2 Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Speaking for myself, I avoid hosting most of my Gentoo-related work
5 > (outside of gentoo repo ebuild mangling) on gentoo.org since I prefer
6 > the services offered elsewhere in terms of usability, visibility, and
7 > project maintenance. Take this as constructive criticism of how Gentoo
8 > currently operates as an upstream host and see it as a call for putting
9 > more emphasis towards deploying GitLab, Gitea, or other similar service
10 > for Gentoo.
11
12 100%. Rich's suggestions with regards to documenting a "here's how you
13 build a container that can be air-dropped onto gentoo infra and booted,
14 and incrementally updated on request" process would possibly go a long
15 way with all of this.
16
17 Random devs can band together, build some GitFoo container, get it
18 working Gud(TM), and petition Infra to deploy it (probably in some
19 semi-official "this is just an 'speriment" namespace till it ossifies)
20
21 Making the Infra side DeadEasy(TM), and the contributor side
22 DeadEasy(TM) reduces all the real friction points beyond politics.