From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Wrong dependencies to postgresql
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:18:30
1 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > since jakub (as always) closes all my bugs, I'll report the issue
5 > to this list before completely giving up and never ever waste a
6 > single second on reporting bugs ...
7
8 Enrico, you know exactly why he does that. Review the last bug you filed
9 to me if you're claiming your clueless as to why.
13 > Lots of packages have an wrong/unnecessary dependency to
14 > postgresql. Three cases:
15 >
16 > a) probably traditionally depended on the whole postgresql, maybe
17 > since before libpq was an own package. ie. qt, dovecot, ...
18 >
19 > b) many apps (ie. webapps like bugzilla) have postgresql as dep.,
20 > although they do not need it to be installed. (ie. bugzilla does
21 > not have to do anything directly w/ postgresql, since it uses
22 > perl-DBD for database access). Of course they maybe want to
23 > have access to some postgres database, but this obviously does
24 > not need an local server.
27 > cu
28
29 Without providing a specific list of packages, nothing will be done with
30 this.
36 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
37 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/
38 --