From: srbaker@mysterymachine.ddts.net (Steven R. Baker)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Distribution Name
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:42:46
I can't speak for Dan, but...  Isn't GNU/Linux a Stallmanism?
	I recall reading an interview with Linus where he doesn't even
	think it should be called GNU/Linux, but just plain Linux.

Yes, GNU/Linux *is* a Stallmanism, it just so happens that Stallman is
right and Linus is wrong.  Linux is just a kernel, nothing more.  An
operating system consists of a kernel as well as the software that
goes into it.  The software that makes up a base system is made by GNU
(the compiler, libc, all of the userland utilities) therefore, it's a
GNU system.  You can be running a BSD, Sun, Mach, or HURD kernel and
still be running a GNU system.

Some argue that FreeBSD uses GCC and other GNU utilities as well,
however, FreeBSD uses *only* the GNU C Compiler, and has their own
libc and userland utilities.  GNU/Linux is the correct name for a GNU
system running on top of the Linux kernel.

	However, the license is OSI-compliant.  In theory, this code
	"infection" would take place if we were talking about GPL/BSD
	projects.

	Though, I don't see this as an issue.  We're not developing or
	extending the internals of Python.  Everything is being
	created as external packages.

Is Python in Gentoo linked with libreadline?  If so, that's a GPL
violation.  Don't get me wrong, I *love* Python, but there should be
some sort of policy or mechanism that says what can go in to Gentoo
and what can't.  Don't you care about your Freedom?