From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:09:28
1 * Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 > We currently offer 11 different slots of GCC, 3 of gcc-apple, each with
4 > multiple versions, 3 versions of llvm-gcc, 2 versions of clang, 7
5 > versions of icc, so in all 26 *major* versions. You do well know that
6 > each compiler prints out different warnings for the *same* code...
7
8 hmm, perhaps I'll hack some little scripts which create a jail/container
9 for each compiler version and triggers emerge within them.
10
11 > We also offer 10 versions of glibc, 8 versions of uclibc, and 7 versions
12 > of klibc. Each version may have header bugs, so may trigger warnings for
13 > perfectly good code.
14
15 Well, if there're header bugs, shouldn't they get fixed before these
16 libs are stabelized ? ;-O
17
18 > And finally we offer 5 unmasked versions of binutils (newer ones even
19 > have a brand new linker - gold) and 5 versions of binutils-apple. Again,
20 > different tools, different warnings...
21
22 Okay, adds *10 to the test matrix. Still not yet an too complex
23 problem (still linear complexity).
24
25 > -Werror is a perfectly fine *developer* feature. For example, Gnome
26 > autoconf macros enable it for development snapshots, but never ever
27 > enable it for stable releases.
28
29 Okay, aggreed. I've reworked my rule, now:
30
31 "package build systems MUST NOT enable "-Wall -Werror" (unless explicitly
32 asked), but developers SHOULD use them for their test builds"
35 cu
36 --
38 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
40 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
41 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
42 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
43 http://patches.metux.de/