From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pre-GLEP RFC: Automated enforcing of REQUIRED_USE constraints
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 22:21:49
1 On 07/08/2017 02:43 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > I think the affairs have settled enough and I've finished filling
5 > in the pre-GLEP for REQUIRED_USE auto-enforcing. It's got all
6 > the algorithms, rationale and separated reference implementation.
7 >
8 > If there are no major concerns raised, I will soon start working
9 > on writing an optimized implementation for pkgcore/pkgcheck
10 > and integrating the verification algos with the CI.
11 >
12 > The pre-GLEP for review is here:
13 >
14 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:ReqUse
15 >
16 > TIA.
17 >
18 This has grown quite a bit since first recommended! Great job so far.
19 Forgive me if I missed something, but wouldn't it be helpful to the user
20 to let them know when automatically choosing for them? A single line in
21 a logfile, einfo output, whatever, would be useful for people wondering
22 how certain packages got pulled in. Users will continue to get errors if
23 the constraints aren't met (or are wrong), but where will information go
24 that indicates the automatic solver's choice? You and I can read an
25 ebuild and guess from the dep spec, but what will a user look at?
26
27 I searched the GLEP page for "log", "einfo", and "output" with no
28 results. If I've missed something please let me know.
29
30 Thanks for the work that's been put into this so far.
31
32 ~zlg
35 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
36 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
37 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6