From: Daniel Goller <morfic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:24:39
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Ryan Phillips wrote:
5 > Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> said:
6 >> Tim Yamin wrote:
7 >>> Speaking of which, has anybody done any tests with svk?
8 >>> (http://svk.elixus.org)
9 >>> And: http://svk.elixus.org/?WhySVK -- it would be interesting to compare
10 >>> checkout performance on it as well.
11 >> I've been planning to do a more detailed comparison of all the popular
12 >> SCM's out there for probably 6 months, but I just don't have the time
13 >> right now. If someone wants to pick this up, please let us know.
14 >>
15 >> Recommended reading: http://www.keltia.net/EuroBSDCon/slides.pdf and
16 >> www.keltia.net/EuroBSDCon/paper.pdf
17 >>
18 >> SCMs to test:
19 >
20 > cogito
21 > - Not practical
22 > * the lots of little files doesn't scale well with the size
23 > of the portage tree
24 > * In addition, git only allows checkins from the project parent.
25 > A deal breaker in my opinion
26 > cvs
27 > - Branching sucks
28 > - Merging is terrible
29 > - File deletes are bad
30 > - Atomic Commits
31 > svn
32 > + Atomic Commits
33 > + Merging/tagging/brancing is a simple "copy" operation
34 > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch04.html
35 > + lots of benefits
36 > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.intro.features.html
37 > there is more I'm sure people can come up with
38 > - 2x Drive space
39
40 Thanks Ryan, what we see is: the only - really is none at all
41
42 localhost64 ffmpeg-0.4.9-p20060302-shared # du -csh /cvs/gentoo-x86/
43 768M /cvs/gentoo-x86/
44 768M total
45 localhost64 ffmpeg-0.4.9-p20060302-shared # du -csh /cvs/gentoo-x86/
46 - --apparent-size
47 224M /cvs/gentoo-x86/
48 224M total
49
50 i waste more on the wrong block size with /cvs/gentoo-x86/ being on my
51 4K block size partition than the file size would add
52 we could trick around to get all that smaller
53
54 but let's be real for a moment, let's double the 768M, 1536M is nothing
55 on today's machines, drive space is cheap, and if your disk is small,
56 then you have no business running cvs or svn or anything with lot's of
57 small files on 4k block size
58
59 so looking at the list of SCMs, svn has only plus, and a theoretical -
60 side that in 2006 is none
61
62 " --apparent-size print apparent sizes, rather than disk
63 usage; although the apparent size is usually smaller, it may be
64 larger due to holes in (`sparse') files, internal
65 fragmentation, indirect blocks, and the like"
66
67 so put svn on a partition with small blocksizes/inode sizes and let's
68 get on with the program
69
70 Daniel
71
72 > darcs
73 > - haskell dependency
74 > - doesn't work on some architectures
75 > - IMHO, deal breaker
76 > svk
77 > - not a contender, it is subversion.
78 > if someone wanted to use svk with the subversion tree they could;
79 > it is transparent to any other.
80 >
81 > -ryan
82