From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] linux-sources-vanilla ebuilds
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 13:48:27
1 On Wednesday 01 August 2001 22:44, you wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:29:07PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > > OK; please use sys-kernel/linux-sources-2.4.6 as your model for
4 > > > creating this new ebuild. (Remove all the patches, but keep everything
5 > > > else)
6 > >
7 > > I was going to, but there are so many if these patches and configs I
8 > > think maybe I'll be better off writing from scratch. After all it only
9 > > has to extract an archive and little else.
10 >
11 > Please follow my instructions. That's an order :) When you strip out all
12 > those patches you'll realize that there are several important commands that
13 > you probably would not think of adding if you didn't use linux-sources as
14 > a base.
15 > > > /usr/src/linux-vanilla-x.y.z should be good.
16 > >
17 > > The problem is: when there are several linux-sources and
18 > > linux-sources-vanilla emerged together, in /usr/src there are the links
19 > > 'linux' and 'linux-2.4' ehich must point to either sources or vanilla.
20 > > How do we decide? Do we create a link to ourselves (i.e. vanilla) if
21 > > there is no other link? A worse problem is /lib/modules. Here each
22 > > kernel's modules dir is only identified by the version number, and each
23 > > has a link back to its kernel sources! What do we do?
24 >
25 > Well, normally, I'd say "patch linux-sources-vanilla so the kernel name is
26 > linux-vanilla-x.y.z". But this goes against the no-patch concept of the
27 > vanilla sources. Therefore, we should patch our already-patched kernels so
28 > they show up as linux-gentoo-x.y.z. Please place all your work in the
29 > package.mask for the time being, since they will conflict with our patched
30 > kernel. I'll get our official kernel patched before 1.0_rc6 is released;
31 > add a wiki item for the system team to remind me.
32 OK. I'll follow orders.
37 Dan Armak
38 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
39 Matan, Israel