From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:05:21
1 On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 22:05 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 [snip good description of problem]
3 > Now the proposal. This isn't something that can happen immediately, but
4 > it's something I'd like to see us working towards:
5 >
6 > * Make everything that isn't xterm set its own TERM value. Possibly the
7 > same for things pretending to be rxvt, although this is less of an
8 > issue since I think everything that pretends to be rxvt is "rxvt plus
9 > some patches".
10
11 Hear hear! I've been bothered with this in past as well - especially
12 when using screen over ssh from other unix flavors.
13
14 We might even convince a few upstream vendors to "do the right thing" if
15 we force this through on our side.
16
17 > * Install, either with the terminal (as is done by rxvt-unicode
18 > currently), or as part of ncurses, proper terminfo definitions for
19 > these terminals.
20
21 One could argue for both solutions here: it would make sense to install
22 it along with the offending terminal, since this is where we change the
23 value of the $TERM variable.
24
25 But once upstream has acknowledged the problem and corrected their $TERM
26 value, a patch should be submitted to ncurses anyway.
27
28 Perhaps we should just once-and-for-all submit a patch to ncurses which
29 includes these new terminfo definitions? We will then patch our
30 foo-terminal ebuilds to set a proper value of $TERM. Then when upstream
31 (hopefully) decides to change their $TERM value to something sane,
32 ncurses will already have the support, and we can remove the local patch
33 along with the version bump of foo-terminal.
34
35 > * De-cripple the standard xterm definition and remove restrictions from
36 > programs which can make full use of xterm's capabilities.
37 >
38 > * Provide a short FAQ explaining what I said above in a more
39 > newbie-friendly way, along with a description of how to generate and
40 > use terminfo files under a user's home directory for compatibility
41 > with legacy systems and a note that users sshing from legacy systems
42 > to Gentoo may need to switch their TERM value.
43
44 A FAQ might also help convince upstream of the existence of a problem -
45 and help them understand why it is a problem.
46
47 > * Include TERM stuff in policy so that the problem doesn't crop up again
48 > a few months later.
49
50 I'm not sure what you mean by "policy"?
51
52 > * Putty? Since I consider sshing from insecure systems irresponsible, I
53 > don't know much about this one, other than that it's another dirty
54 > liar and that said lying has caused various bugs in the past. Perhaps
55 > someone could clarify with details of what it pretends to support and
56 > what it really supports?
57
58 I generally only use PuTTY as a emergency solution - haven't looked into
59 its capabilities.
60
61 Sincerely,
62 Brix
63 --
64 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
65 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd