From: Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Augmenting the CPU_FLAGS_X86 list and creating CPU_FLAGS_PPC + CPU_FLAGS_ARM
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 13:05:09
1 On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 11:08:47PM +0200, David Seifert wrote:
2 > Dear friends,
3 > while version bumping sci-libs/fftw, I've noticed our CPU_FLAGS_X86
4 > list could be expanded a bit:
5
6 I like the idea of expanding the list of CPU_FLAGS_X86, and having flags
7 for other arches too, but I would be in favor of dropping the _X86
8 suffix and using CPU_FLAGS for all arches. Your machine most likely will
9 only have one kind anyway. Not sure what others think about it, though.
10
11 > avx512 - introduced with Skylake and Knights Landing
12
13 Only Skylake Xeons (yet to be launched) will support AVX512, and
14 as mentioned in another email, the subsets supported by Skylake and
15 KNL are a bit different. So, adding each subset should be better
16 (e.g. avx512f, avx512cd, avx512er, etc).
17
18 > I also propose creating a CPU_FLAGS_PPC variable containing (at least):
19 >
20 > altivec - PowerPC's SSE
21 > vsx - PowerPC's AVX
22 >
23 > Finally, I also propose creating CPU_FLAGS_ARM variable containing:
24 >
25 > neon
26 >
27 > Any ideas? Currently cpu-feature flags for non-x86 are package local,
28 > whereas making them globally available makes masking easier for non-
29 > applicable archs etc. and makes enabling them easier for users.
30
31 Masking flags is not needed if they are determined from /proc/cpuinfo.
32
33 Cheers,
34 —Guilherme