From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with XDG directories in ebuild environment
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 23:05:28
1 On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 22:59:59 +0100
4 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Dnia 2014-01-26, o godz. 21:35:27
6 >> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> napisał(a):
7 >> > On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 13:21:44 -0800
8 >> > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
9 >> > > Sorry, I work on Portage. What I'm saying is that We are free to
10 >> > > change the behavior of *portage* now; rather than waiting for a
11 >> > > new EAPI. If an ebuild needs to define EAPI=eapi-next to
12 >> > > 'correctly' use XDG_*, well that is someone else's can of worms.
13 >> >
14 >> > Changing Portage to hide the issue is a bad idea, since it makes it
15 >> > harder for developers to notice that that's a problem they need to
16 >> > fix. Although maybe you could set XDG_* to something that will give
17 >> > a big noisy sandbox violation for current EAPIs?
18 >>
19 >> Yes, because instantly breaking a few dozen ebuilds in stable tree for
20 >> the sake of proving a point is always a good idea.
21 >
22 > It's not about proving a point, it's about fixing existing bugs. It's
23 > changing a hard-to-see error into an easy-to-see error, so that it can
24 > be fixed more quickly. This change would introduce no new breakage,
25 > since anything affected by it is already broken.
28 Most people do not have XDG_CONFIG_HOME, etc. set in their
29 environment, so having the package manager set it to something that
30 intentionally breaks ebuilds is a step backward for most end users.
31
32 It would really nice to have a solution for the few users who do have
33 this set that does not involve adding code to random eclasses, or
34 leaving things broken for X months/years until all ebuilds can be
35 bumped to EAPI 6.