From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] making USE=upnp a global flag
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:03:52
1 On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
2 > Le mercredi 19 septembre 2012 à 10:19 +0200, Michał Górny a écrit :
3 >>
4 >> Just to make it clear:
5 >> - USE=upnp for upnp-igd or nat-pmp,
6 >> - USE=dlna for the video magic and so on.
7 >>
8 >> Do I understand correctly?
9 >
10 > No, TV makers and others advertise UPnP as DLNA (digital living network
11 > appliance) but that actually refers to both port forwarding (eg. used in
12 > consoles) and to media streaming (eg. PC to TV).
13 >
14 > Both flags should most likely start with dlna, then we need to figure
15 > out a suffix :)
16 >
17 > I propose dlna-av and dlna-network.
18 >
19 > See [1] if somebody else feels inspired.
20 >
21 > [1]
22 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance#DLNA_technology_components
23 > --
24 > Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
25 > Gentoo
29 Personally, I would prefer that the USE flags be named for the
30 protocol/feature they enable (upnp-foo) rather than the organization
31 that certifies devices (dlna-foo). Maybe I'm over-simplifying.