From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mr_bones_@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eclass: autotools-utils.eclass
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 02:29:01
1 On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 01:54:43AM +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > this is being used in the tree already.
3
4 Doesn't make it right ;)
5
6 > IIRC, since the introduction of EAPI-2 in the tree, there were a few
7 > solutions present to the dev ml and the one agreed by people was the
8 > abuse of depend to have the PM fail on dependency resolution instead of
9 > calling die on an eclass - which iirc is / was forbidden by PMS.
10
11 PMS has no such restriction as far as I know (or can grep for).
12 Regardless, if PMS *did* forbid die's in eclass global scope... pretty
13 much it's there already (including for when EAPI isn't at the correct
14 value).
15
16 Basically, a die can be dealt with better than broken atom's-
17 DEPEND=eapi-too-old definitely conflicts w/ PMS (invalid atom), if die
18 does in this case... the lesser of two evils is die.
19
20 If PMS doesn't conflict (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't), then that
21 leaves die as the proper approach.
24 > We can discuss the correctness of this use, but please take into account
25 > it's already being used so until we have such a discussion we can't
26 > "forbid" its use.
27
28 Yes we can. The fact it slipped in via 3 places that no one noticed
29 doesn't mean it's now considerable acceptable. This is part of what
30 triggered my rant- the tree is large and vast, sometimes monsters
31 manage to get added and lurk for a while. That doesn't make them
32 defacto standard however.
33
34 At the time of it's addition, it was invalid from the parsing
35 standpoint- it shouldn't have been added in the first place because of
36 that.
37
38 As for converting it to die, that can be done _now_ without fallout-
39 if anything was triggering that codepath bones should've been
40 complaining about it (yet to hear any such complaints).
41
42 ~harring