From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, stuart.herbert@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:15:40
1 Aron Griffis wrote: [Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:00:49PM EST]
2 > Ryan Phillips wrote: [Sat Mar 25 2006, 01:47:51AM EST]
3 > > It sounds to me like the overlays would benefit of using git/cogito.
4 > > The Linux Kernel uses this DVCS to full affect. Pulling changes from
5 > > other repositories, and even receiving email patches pushed from
6 > > people not having their own official repository (or repository http
7 > > or ssh accessible). Any git checkout is a branch, so its easy to
8 > > stay up to date with the mainline tree and still work on personal
9 > > branches.
10 >
11 > Most of the other DVCSs are easier to use than git, and just as
12 > powerful or more. IMHO git is used for Linux mostly because Linus
13 > wrote it, rather than it being the best tool for the job.
14
15 I should backpedal on that statement a bit... While I think it's true
16 historically, git is doing a great job for kernel development, and it
17 can't be criticized lightly. Nonetheless, similar power is available
18 in other DVCSs that are easier to use and less likely to cause
19 headaches.
20
21 Aron