From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How not to discuss
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 00:38:13
1 On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
2 > Alec Warner wrote:
3 >>> No, it's entirely objective. GLEP 55 clearly shows how the filename
4 >>> based options are objectively better than anything else.
5 >>
6 >> But the decision will not be based entirely on objective merits
7 >> (although I will concede that EAPI in filename is the 'best' technical
8 >> choice).
9 >
10 > (Jeez, I hate to add another to this thread, but this way of defining
11 > 'technical' bothers me)
12
13 Lets agree to disagree on the definition of "technical" then and
14 instead agree that putting EAPI in the filename is a bad design
15 decision ("technicalness" aside) and then have a beer!
18 > Along the lines of what Roy so eloquently expressed, I think it's
19 > important that we do not divorce *design* from *technical*. The
20 > decision of where to place the EAPI is a design issue, and many of us
21 > here clearly believe that it is *not* good design to put this kind of
22 > metadata in the filename. Therefore, the statement that it is the
23 > 'best' technical choice is not objectively true.
24 >
25 > Technical issues of performance and efficiency can be addressed when
26 > proper design has been done beforehand. Part of the purpose of the
27 > implementation (after proper design is in place) is to address
28 > performance and other related issues. And part of the design is how we
29 > define the *interface*. The filename is clearly part of the interface.
30 > It is part of how devs (and users) interact with portage when writing
31 > ebuilds. Much of the argument for EAPI in the filename has been
32 > motivated by a perceived implementation benefit of speed, as if there
33 > were no other solutions (which is naive). As Roy suggested, if all
34 > engineering decisions were based purely on pragmatic "ease of
35 > implementation" factors, we'd have a lot of ugly designs/interfaces out
36 > there.
37 >
38 > It may be easy (although incorrect) to dismiss elegance/design/interface
39 > issues as "non-technical", but I maintain they actually *are* technical
40 > matters of great importance. I've been an engineer for over 20 years,
41 > and I have seen the pitfalls of taking the quick-and-dirty approach just
42 > to slap a new feature into a software app. I've seen how such hasty
43 > design mistakes can cause great pain and regret for a long time after.
44 > Let's get the design right, first. For what it's worth, GLEP 55 does
45 > now provide an option (#3: Easily fetchable EAPI inside the ebuild and
46 > one-time extension change) that demonstrates good design.
47 >
48 > -Joe