From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Discussion: alternative compatible utilities
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:00:46
1 On Tuesday 21 June 2005 20:42, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > In other words, I think you need to do some work in an overlay so that
3 > you can present a real list of affected ebuilds and utilites, rather
4 > than stating that you "don't really know"
5 Well this was just a discussion, no work should really start for now :)
6
7 > Rather
8 > I want to suggest the next step is a more complete investigation,
9 > rather than committing any changes to the portage tree.
10 That was for sure :) No big change to do before something working is already
11 there.. like we're doing for G/FBSD.
12
13 > Why is that a long-term goal? What are the advantages/disadvantages
14 > of the eselect method compared to the aliases?
15 Because aliases makes difficult to follow the flow of an ebuild because you
16 read "sed" and but is gsed that's called.. similarly for other tools.
17 Aliases are like #defines into C code.. makes debug harder, very harder.
18
19 > As Az mentioned, this is really going to be annoying unless all the
20 > sed programs available support -i
21 BSD does, and I think we can make a prerequisite to be used in portage that
22 the system's sed supports -i.
23 The only problem is with the options orders.. sed -i -e expr works, sed -e -i
24 expr or sed -e expr -i doesn't.
25
26 > I'll re-iterate: I'm not trying to shoot down this idea completely.
27 > I just want to have a general understanding that it's the *right*
28 > option before making treewide changes.
29 That's why we're discussing it :)
32 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
33 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
34 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)