From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fonts, Xfree, Linux
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:03:48
1 Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o> writes:
2
3 [ ... ]
4
5 > Anyway, RedHat developed a tool called chkfontpath which updates
6 > /etc/X11/fs/config with font paths to be added, removed, queried and
7 > what not. It seems most binary distros distribute this utility. We
8 > had a look at it (popt is a required dependency for it), and I've
9 > asked Graham (vladimir@g.o) to come up with a perl equivalent for
10 > it. To me, it seems that coding that in C and using popt is
11 > overkill.
12
13 if a working tool exists, is it really worth rewriting the tool just
14 to remove popt as a dependency? actually, to me it seems that
15 you're removing popt and adding perl as a dependency. :-)
16
17 > So the idea he and I discussed was to have this utility (or set of
18 > utilities) to update the fontpaths in /etc/X11/fs/config as well as
19 > /etc/X11/XF86Config (IF the font path is other than unix:/7100 in
20 > that file).
21
22 is this something chkfontpath already does, or something
23 Gentoo-specific and new?
24
26
27 now, as for policy... when you install a font, you probably want it
28 to be available for X. then again, it's sort of the same thing with
29 a daemon, and rc-update. a common behavior is a good thing, even if
30 it requires some monotonous user action every time. as long as the
31 behavior is well documented, I don't see a big problem it.
34 Terje
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list