From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc4 status update
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:56:45
1 Developers,
2
3 Here's an important status update.
4
5 As of right now, the latest test version of Portage on CVS is a bit flaky.
6 Unfortunately, I've been very busy over here and haven't had a chance to tackle
7 Achim's Portage buglist yet. So, if your current Portage is working perfectly
8 -- great -- and don't upgrade to the latest version just yet. I'll get the
9 bugs fixed as soon as I can, and I'll let you know when Portage is ready.
10
11 Secondly, if you have been using any 2.4 kernels below 2.4.2, then it's very
12 likely that your ReiserFS filesystems are slightly corrupted. Unfortunately
13 for us, there were a number of major bugs in the supposedly stable ReiserFS
14 code prior to 2.4.3. For this reason, cvs.gentoo.org is now back on ext2 for
15 the time being, until I ensure that 2.4.2 ReiserFS with namesys patches have no
16 problems. If you are storing critical data on your Gentoo Linux system, please
17 back it up immediately -- and remember that Gentoo Linux should not be used on
18 production systems until version 1.0_final is released. If you are using it in
19 a production environment (like me), then be prepared to deal with things like
20 this -- you're on the bleeding edge.
21
22 It is very likely that kernel 2.4.4 or 2.4.5 will end up being the first real
23 stable 2.4 series kernel. Which should coincide nicely with the next release
24 of Gentoo Linux.
25
26 Best Regards,
29 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>