From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ML changes
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:04:13
1 Christina Fullam wrote:
2
3 > I suppose the problem is high-volume and excessive flaming/trolling/OT.
4 > The proposed solution asks that every developer take an active role,
5 > yes, so that could easily equal more work - but I have little doubts
6 > that there are developers that will take an interest in doing it.
7 >
8 > However, all that aside, here is another way this change could be
9 > implemented:
10 >
11 > -core stays private. I really dont see the need to change IMO.
12
13 Agreed.
14
15 > -project (call it what you will) would be for the off topic, non
16 > development emails that we so commonly see. this list would be optional
17 > for all developers.
18
19 Agreed. Though "off-topic" could be replaced by "non-technical".
20
21 > -dev (no preference for the name) would be for development discussion
22 > for devs and non-devs alike. everyone would all start out on a
23 > whitelist. any developer could opt to move a dev or non-dev to the
24 > moderated list (meaning their emails would be delayed allowing for
25 > moderation or simple release after a given time period).
26 >
27 > The check and balance for this would be that if any developer was found
28 > to be moderating someone unnecessarily, that developer themself would be
29 > moved to the moderated list by devrel for a time period without any
30 > access rights to change anything further themselves. Repeat offenders
31 > would be reviewed by devrel for further action if needed. this list
32 > would be required for all developers.
33
34 I'd prefer short-term banning to moderating. Once an individual is
35 moderated, who is expected to review their mails? Who is reviewing the
36 reviews? Is devrel really prepared, in resources and spirit, to
37 evaluate every email sent by a moderated individual?
38
39 If you feel you are, then you have my support.
42 > I dont think for a moment that it is only non-devs causing this
43 > excessive amount of email which often results in flaming/trolling. I do
44 > agree that everyone should be bound by the same rules.
45
46 Agreed.
47
48 > Thoughts?
52 dirtyepic salesman said this vacuum's guaranteed
53 gentoo org it could suck an ancient virus from the sea
54 9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3 5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8)
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list