From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: renaming "rc" binary in OpenRC
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 21:28:43
1 On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o> wrote:
2 > The idea of running a sed on inittab in an ebuild, no matter what the
3 > context, terrifies me. Perhaps we can ease this in slowly by renaming rc ->
4 > openrc and symlinking rc -> openrc and making a release with that change
5 > concurrent with a news item? Or even just do that in the ebuild rather than
6 > in the actual sources. I don't think Debian will keel over and die if it
7 > takes a little extra time for the change to go through, and it beats a ton
8 > of broken systems.
9
10 ++
11
12 No reason the symlink couldn't be done in the ebuild either - which
13 keeps the package itself clean. There could be news to clean up
14 inittab and such, and then perhaps down the road the compat symlink
15 could be removed.
16
17 Nice to see interest in Debian (granted, I know there was interest
18 quite a while back). Having more and better options is just good for
19 everybody - I'd like to see OpenRC become the best traditional-style
20 service manager around (though honestly I'd be hard-pressed to think
21 of any that are quite as good already).
22
23 I think one thing that would be nice to dream about someday would be a
24 systemd-compatibility init.d script. That would be symlinked to a
25 service name just like a typical network interface script, and would
26 look for a unit file and interpret it (perhaps just taking a path from
27 conf.d). I'd think it wouldn't be hard to do, setting aside the more
28 active-management features of systemd.
29
30 Rich