From: "Herb Miller Jr." <herb@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Begin a dev-libs/nodejs category?
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 12:22:24
1 On 03/21/2018 03:33 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 01:44:11 +0000
3 > Herb Miller Jr. <herb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> If I am, then yes, some kind of automation
6 >> would be the only sane way to keep up
7 > In my experience you can't *really* rely on automation 100% for this
8 > sort of thing. Not while achieving quality results.
9 >
10 > Its viable for an overlay where there's no expectations of quality, but
11 > for the main tree, I find you want to have a human san-check everything
12 > and manually vet each upstream version for "anomalous things".
13 >
14 > Automation is good at handling the "known predictable" cases, humans
15 > are better at detecting "huh, that's weird, why did they do that?"
16 >
17 > Because you absolutely want to know if upstream added some stupid
18 > change that is harmful to Gentoo users before you blindly replicate it.
19
20 And I agree with you 100%. I would never rely on automation exclusively.
21 I would use it to write boilerplate sections, check for updates, check
22 for breakage, etc. I'd never open a PR for something I hadn't polished
23 myself.