From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 04:43:18
1 Duncan Coutts wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 22:47 -0800, Ryan Phillips wrote:
3 >
4 >> We need to pick one VCS and only one. Having multiple systems
5 >> requires users to install multiple applications and learn each one.
6 >> Not all of them are easy to pick up. Plus, it would be nice to be
7 >> able to merge from the overlays to the Portage trunk.
8 >
9 > I'm not sure it is realistic at the moment to pick just one DVCS. Apart
10 > from getting one that works on all systems, it's likely to be hard to
11 > get everyone to agree.
12 >
13 > There's a slight danger that the discussion of which VCS could distract
14 > us from the important questions.
15 >
16 > If we're going with the idea that at least at first these overlay are
17 > going to be run by and for projects/teams/herds then perhaps the choice
18 > of VCS is not so important. So long as it's feasible with infra of
19 > course. Since we don't yet expect people to be using several of these
20 > overlays at once it's probably that each developer or outside
21 > contributer would not need to use more than one VCS (in addition to cvs
22 > for portage).
23 >
24 > As a plus side, this might give us some feedback on which (D)VCSs work
25 > well for overlay development and might help inform our future decisions
26 > on possible cvs replacements.
27 >
28 > BTW I hope that with all my recent emails on the issue of which
29 > arches/platforms can run darcs I've not been giving the impression that
30 > I'm pushing for darcs to be the "one true" choice. I am certainly
31 > interested in working with any arch team to get ghc and darcs ported but
32 > that's a separate issue.
35 given that darcs can export and import git with ease and mercurial can
36 do the same up to a degree, we could use those three.
37
38 (since they are all documented people could implement them in other
39 language if they wish)
40
41 darcs : ghc
42 mercurial : python
43 git : c+bash (and optional perl/python for some merge scripts)
44
45 lu
49 Luca Barbato
50