From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:27:49
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:23:39 +0200
3 > Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Michał Górny schrieb:
6 >>> Hello, all.
7 >>>
8 >>> Since nowadays udev is bundled within systemd, we start having two
9 >>> libudev providers: >=sys-apps/systemd-185 and sys-fs/udev. Making
10 >>> the long story short, I would like to introduce a virtual for
11 >>> libudev which would pull in either of those two.
12 >>>
13 >>> There are three USE flags used in conditionals when depending on
14 >>> udev:
15 >>> - gudev - for glib wrapper on udev,
16 >>> - hwdb - to pull in hwids,
17 >>> - static-libs.
18 >>>
19 >>> The former two were previously provided by 'extras' USE flag,
20 >>> and the third was unconditional.
21 >>>
22 >>> I'm attaching an example virtual/libudev which does the job. Sadly,
23 >>> because of the 'extras' compatibility it's a big ugly conditional.
24 >>>
25 >>> An alternative would be to provide separate virtual/libudev
26 >>> and virtual/libgudev; and maybe changing ebuilds not to depend on
27 >>> [hwids] but rather pull in sys-apps/hwids directly (since that's
28 >>> what the flag does).
29 >>>
30 >>> What are you thoughts?
31 >>
32 >> As discussed on IRC, there is still no consensus for installing the
33 >> udev files with systemd, which is the beginning for the block and the
34 >> virtual. So we should first sort that point out, before we even start
35 >> to think about an ebuild for an udev virtual.
36 >
37 > Do you have a technical or policy reason prohibiting me from maintaining
38 > a systemd ebuild following the upstream policies?
39
40 How about this simple one: The udev ebuild does already install udev, so
41 why should we have another package also installing the same thing,
42 resulting in a blocker, the need to switch from one package to another
43 and the need for package maintainers to switch their dependencies?
44
45 Since William already said, that he will move the udev installation to
46 /usr/lib, i dont see any technical reason left to not simply depend on
47 the udev ebuild.
48 And if you fear issues about not knowing which parts to install, then
49 just check the files installed by the udev ebuild, remove them from your
50 systemd ebuild and you are done.
51 >
52 >> So for now: A clear no, i am against adding a virtual/libudev ebuild.
53 >
54 > Please give the rationale.
55
56 I did above. So if you still want to install udev yourself, please give
57 the rationale for doing so. And neither upstream naming nor a big
58 upstream tarball nor the Makefile do force this, so please exclude those
59 points.
64 Thomas Sachau
65 Gentoo Linux Developer