From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About writing ebuild files
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:34:21
1 Hi
2
3 On Sunday 23 June 2002 15:27, Markus Wagner wrote:
4 > Do I have to put my name and mailaddress into the maintainer entry in the
5 > comments or is this an entry for the gentoo people?
6 Author and Maintainer entries in the ebuilds are discouraged and will be
7 stripped out as of present. Instead information of such kind should go into
8 Changelog. Please take a look at skel.Changelog for the format description.
9 Every person making modification is supposed to update this file (and include
10 his/her name and email).
11 This way you as an author will get proper credit for ebuild submission, core
12 developer will get his credit for processing/cleaning up your submission and
13 a person updating the ebuild will get his due.
14
15 > May I update an ebuild file originally written by a different person?
16 > What's then about the maintainer entry?
17 Yes, all the ebuilds are released under GPL-2 (see the header for release
18 note). See above Re: maintainer entry.
19
20 > I've written a port for cyrus-imapd-2.0.16. Unfortunately this package
21 > needs a user called "cyrus", which doesn't exist in the default profile.
22 > What to do in this situation?
23 You can execute adduser command from pkg_preinst. You might want to add
24 corresponding deluser entry to pkg_postremove.
25 However I am not sure if this is a desirable way to do so or rather should
26 user addition be left to sysadmin (still probably not a very elegant solution
27 as a few files likely need to be chowned). On the other hand you might prefer
28 other username for this package - in case this is covered by any standart.
29
30 > How should the delivered /etc/services looks like, if I have to create some
31 > new entries in it? Should it only contain the new entries or perhaps some
32 > standard entries plus the new ones?
33 I think you should include complete file and install it in the proper place.
34 As long as it is installed in CONFIG_PROTECTed dir it does not overwrite
35 installed version but rather gets a specially mangled name.
36
37 George