From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] User and group management via dedicated packages
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 16:01:19
1 On 5/29/19 5:50 AM, Jaco Kroon wrote:
2 >>
3 >> This GLEP follows the best practice of leaving obsolete user/groups
4 >> accounts intact. This guarantees that no files with stale ownership are
5 >> left (e.g. on unmounted filesystems) and that the same UID/GID is not
6 >> reused for another user/group.
7 >
8 > The type of checks for both this and certain updates contemplated above
9 > are similar.  And expensive (resources) as you rightly say. I would
10 > provide the tools to perform these checks but in the ebuild I'd rather
11 > the checks be done asap (pkg_pretend?).  If we can fail there and
12 > stating what the admin should do to rectify the issue that would be the
13 > best solution in my personal opinion.  Ie, from the package manager I'd
14 > state how, but not actually action these changes.
17 My original goal here was to have "emerge -C <user>" actually uninstall
18 the user. That turns out to be highly unwise, because you need to audit
19 the system for things owned and used by said user, and to clean them all
20 up beforehand. That can take forever, and can't be automated.
21
22 Plan (b) was to do exactly as you asked: have the uninstall process bail
23 out, and tell you what to do. That's... also technically infeasible,
24 because we don't have a way to make an ebuild bail out of an uninstall.
25 This could change in the future with an EAPI/PMS update, but simply
26 isn't an option right now.