From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for a new project: gentoo-libs
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 20:49:46
1 > On Aug 5, 2018, at 2:35 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 2:12 PM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
6 >> Prestige is good. We have prestige from our (myself and a few others) work in upstream ZFS and Gentoo is well respected there.
7 >
8 > Sure, but ZFS on Linux isn't a Gentoo project.
9 >
10 > I'm not saying people who are Gentoo devs can't also do other things.
11 > Lots of Gentoo devs are involved in lots of stuff that gets a fair bit
12 > of respect. OpenRC is a big example of this. From time to time I bump
13 > into signs of Gentoo on upstream projects (just today that included
14 > SoapySDRPlay).
15 >
16 > Also, this gives us an opportunity to set an example, in helping to
17 > ensure the upstream project is maintained in a distro-friendly manner
18 > where Gentoo is a first class citizen.
19 >
20 > I'm not saying that stuff like this should be banned from infra. It
21 > just seems like an unnecessary constraint all-around. It means that
22 > the project has to generally follow Gentoo policies/etc, and is
23 > limited to the tools we provide. Just something to think about...
24 Which policies would those be? The upstream projects that we do have as Gentoo sub-projects seem to have plenty of freedom.
27 > --
28 > Rich
29 >