From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: James Yonan <jim@×××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Init Scripts
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:28:07
1 James Yonan wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm new to Gentoo and I'm trying to convert the RedHat init script for OpenVPN
5 > over to Gentoo's format. Though I'm still learning the Gentoo way of writing
6 > init scripts, I would like to suggest the following additions to runscript.sh:
7
8 > [....]
9 > (2) Condrestart is a useful init script method, often seen in RH init scripts.
10 > It basically says "restart only if service is already running". It is
11 > commonly used to restart a daemon after a software update. OpenVPN needs it
12 > so that the VPN daemon can be restarted if a network adaptor gets a new IP
13 > address from a DHCP server. In cases like these, you obviously don't want to
14 > restart the daemon unless it is already running. Condrestart becomes
15 > breathtakingly simple if started() above is defined:
16 >
17 > condrestart() {
18 > started || restart
19 > }
20 >
21 > If there are better ways of doing these things in Gentoo, please let me know.
22 > Otherwise, I can send a formal patch of my changes to runscript.sh
23
24 I don't know the soultion for your problem but I have written a simple
25 script for
26 openvpn, which I use with success on a bunch of machines. It is very
27 "gentooish"
28 because it puts the configuration in /etc/conf.d/openvpn.
29 Take a look at it, maybe it can be useful.
30
31 marko

openvpn text/plain
openvpn.conf text/plain