From: "Jared H. Hudson" <jhhudso@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new ebuild variables proposal...
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:08:15
1 Most ebuilds for packages that are picky about optimization settings, set
2 their own CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS. If you will post what package you tried to
3 compile and could not due to a CFLAGS setting, it would help us.
4
5 For example, if you look at the glibc ebuild you will find that CFLAGS is
6 set to -O2 instead of the possible default of -O3, because linuxthreads
7 which is part of glibc won't compile with -O3 apparently.
8
9 Personally, I feel this is the right way to handle this. Otherwise, just
10 having a BAD_CFLAGS variable takes away optimizations from programs which
11 might have a problem with 1 but not all optimization flags.
12
13 -Jared H.
14