From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] collab herd for cooperative pkg maintenance
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 01:10:58
1 On Monday, March 23, 2015 01:22:25 PM Tim Harder wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > Having been around for a few years I've inherited or added quite a few
5 > pkgs to the tree that I wouldn't mind other people fixing/bumping/etc
6 > that don't fall into any current herds.
7 >
8 > With that in mind, I think it would be an interesting experiment if we
9 > had a collaborative herd (probably named "collab") that signals the
10 > status that anyone is generally free to fix, bump, or do sane things to
11 > the pkgs with the caveat that you fix what you break.
12 >
13 > Anyone else interested in such a setup?
14 >
15 > Tim
16
17 I could see this fitting in to the proxy-maintainer herd if they would consider
18 a change in their current purpose. Their current statement is [1]:
19
20 "Proxy maintainers is a group of developers maintaining abandoned packages on
21 behalf of Gentoo users."
22
23 Changing this to something like:
24
25 "Proxy maintainers are a group of developers maintaining packages on behalf of
26 Gentoo users and fellow developers."
27
28 This would of course require additional changes in protocol for the herd. As
29 it stands now they focus solely on user interaction with developers. Expanding
30 this to developer owned packages would meet your intent of allowing fellow
31 developers to assist with your packages. Metadata would also reflect your
32 ownership of the package and add proxy-maintainers to <herd>.
33
34 Thoughts?
35
36 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers