From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 21:35:19
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 16:07:27 -0400
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > but realistically this should be
5 > installed to /usr/$(get_libdir)/debiancompat/ or similar, and if you
6 > still don't want to wrap the apps that need it then also install an
7 > /etc/env.d/ file to add this dir to the LDPATH.
8
9 +1 to this. I was going to suggest something similar.
10
11 At least, because I'm still thinking in a view other than "steam", and
12 anticipating "Maybe we're going to do more of this"
13
14 If more than one binary application need more than one debian hack,
15 stuffing all the debian hacks in a special prefix that everyone can use
16 without polluting the main gentoo stuff is an advantage.
17
18 ( And the separate dir makes it clear what the library is for and why
19 its there if anyone is trying to weed out some library problem that
20 still manages to happen despite our attempts )