From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Detecting gcj in ebuilds
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:34:19
1 On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Duncan wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4 > I would **NOT** appreciate portage taking upon ITSELF to CHANGE my USE
5 > flags behind my back!!! Count this as one vote for emerge-stopping
6 > errors, NOT warnings that may or may not be seen in the middle of a string
7 > of emerges. Yes, I use pretend (or more generally, ask), and would
8 > normally catch a repeated emerge there. However, I still don't want use
9 > flags being changed out from under me.
10 >
11 > Of course, as already mentioned repeatedly, having a depend resolution
12 > time failure would be better than EITHER that warning or failure after a
13 > string of depends have been merged. I agree there (what's not to agree
14 > with?). However, regardless of whether that's possible, if a use flag
15 > needs changed, I want an error spit out to that effect, so **I** get to
16 > decide whether to change it or try some other package that doesn't require
17 > changes in my use flags. I do NOT want it simply changed, at the whim of
18 > portage, regardless of whether there's a big warning before it happens.
19 > If a use flag needs changed, *I* want to be the one changing it, on *MY*
20 > system.
21
22 Agreed. If I have specified a USE flag of -<lang>, there may be a
23 reason. Given that there's no easy way to tell emerge sync to not pull
24 down any ebuilds that depend on <lang>, and to not pull down any ebuilds
25 that depend on an ebuild that depends on <lang> (, yada yada), It's very
26 easy for me to make a mistake, and select a package that is written in
27 <lang>. That doesn't mean I want it.
28
29 Ed
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list