From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FW: rsync etiquette follow-up
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:33:46
1 On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:56:37PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > I know that I could run an rsync mirror just for internal use - and that
3 > would help a lot. Running a distfiles mirror is a lot less practical. It
4 > would be much better if there was a way to share '/usr/portage' across
5 > multiple machines. You can't do this safely via NFS. If two machines try
6 > to download the same distfile at the same time, they interfere with each
7 > other.
8 For the moment, could we have a workaround?
9 1. portage should keep lockfiles while it makes a call to wget/$FETCH so
10 that duplicate instances don't blow up (you can cause this even on a
11 single machine, no need for NFS).
12 2. as something extra from the above, say you are merging a bunch of
13 packages, and one of them is being downloaded by an alternate process.
14 Instead of failing immediately, portage should find the NEXT thing that
15 doesn't have an dependancies in the depgraph (another pure leaf node so
16 to speak), and run that way. If there is nothing else that can be done
17 without waiting for the other existing process, then we can throw a
18 temporary error.
19
20 > It'd be much better if emerge could be changed to a client/server model,
21 > where the emerge command becomes a client that contacts the (possibly
22 > remote) emerge server to do all the downloading and rsyncing. For people
23 > running both client/server on the same machine, there's no noticable
24 > difference. For people like me, trying to run a site of machines, I'm able
25 > to reduce the amount of load I place on your rsync servers and your distfile
26 > servers.
27 Long term this would be ideal, esp. if merged with functionality like
28 redhat's RHN subscriptions (able to push updates to a group of machines
29 automatically, and get error messages if it fails). This is one of those
30 enterprise level things that we need.
33 Robin Hugh Johnson
34 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
35 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
36 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
37 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85