From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stricter --newuse settings
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:39:00
1 "Diego 'Flameeyes' =?iso-8859-1?q?Petten=F2?=" <flameeyes@g.o>
2 posted 200611281926.38355@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.org, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:26:28 +0100:
4
5 > On Tuesday 28 November 2006 18:40, Caleb Cushing wrote:
6 >> I know that newuse is stricter now. but do my packages really have to
7 >> want to rebuild because a flag was hard masked. e.g. arts when I had
8 >> -arts in my make.conf already? seems like it's a little too strict.
9
10 > This is not because of a use.mask over a flag, I'm afraid. I've removed
11 > some arts useflags in the past days, a they are currently showing
12 > everywhere there's a kde eclass uasage, this is suboptimal as most of the
13 > times arts is not actually needed there.
14 >
15 > When a flag is removed from a package it might be the same as having it
16 > disabled or enabled, it depends, so --newuse does its job by rebuilding
17 > the package.
18 >
19 > Indeed even when a package _requires_ arts, I remove the useflag and force
20 > arts on.
21
22 Thanks for your hard work, Diego (and everyone else too, but I'm a KDE
23 user so appreciate this in particular). It's appreciated and makes for a
24 better Gentoo, altho I too have been known to gripe under my breath at
25 whatever USE flag removal forcing --newuser rebuild, when I as a /human/
26 know it's not needed.
27
28 The question that has occurred to me is if there might be some way to
29 implement a package.newusemask or the like. I haven't hashed out the
30 details, therefore no bug filed, but since the topic is raised... The
31 idea is some way, here suggested as a package.newsusemask file, for a
32 sysadmin to in effect say "OK, I've seen that --newuse change and for
33 whatever reason, don't want to bother with that particular package right
34 now, so ignore that change for now, as if it hadn't happened." With such
35 an implementation in place, an entry such as what might be added to
36 package.use could now be added to package.newusemask, and portage would
37 then ignore changes to that USE dependency for that atom.
38
39 So, portage devs, is this reasonable, or entirely unworkable for some
40 reason that hasn't occurred to me? If it's reasonable, are we looking at a
41 small change or a big change, and at what relative priority and timeframe
42 is implementation possible/likely?
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list