From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>, Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Improve the security of the default profile
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:13:04
1 On 09/12/2013 11:03 AM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 09/10/2013 09:17 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> 1. The kernel expects -fno-stack-protector to be the default. What will
5 >>> the effect be on kernel configuration once -fstack-protector is the default?
6 >>
7 >> Nothing, since the kernel build system doesn't source make.conf. If
8 >> somebody creates an ebuild that actually installs a kernel then it
9 >> might be an issue, though it could be filtered if it is a problem.
10 >
11 > My understanding is that this change would be made to GCC's spec files,
12 > which affects everything that uses GCC.
13 >
14 >>>
15 >>> 2. We should make sure that -fno-stack-protector is a supported CFLAG.
16 >>> This will make it easier to handle complaints from the vocal minority of
17 >>> our user base that want every last percentage point of performance.
18 >>
19 >> No reason that it would be any less supported than -fstack-protector
20 >> already is.
21 >
22 > Just making certain.
23 >
24 >>>
25 >>> 3. I would like to point out that we are talking about deviating from
26 >>> upstream behavior and everyone is okay with it. Anyone who thinks we
27 >>> should stick to upstream when it is not good for us should speak now or
28 >>> risk being asked "where were you when..." whenever they try to use
29 >>> upstream as an excuse to hold back progress. ;)
30 >>
31 >> I don't really see this as an issue - in general maintainers are
32 >> expected to accommodate reasonable CFLAGS. This doesn't mean that
33 >> arbitrary CFLAGS are "supported" so much as bugs should be taken
34 >> seriously if they're really bugs. If -fstack-protector causes serious
35 >> problems and this is inherent to the nature of the package/etc then
36 >> just filter it. If it causes problems because upstream isn't doing
37 >> things right, then this is no different than how things were 10 years
38 >> ago when we were stomping out amd64 issues left and right (not working
39 >> on amd64 wasn't a reason to mask a package for x86, but we didn't
40 >> accept "upstream doesn't care about amd64" as an excuse).
41 >>
42 >> Staying close to upstream is a good philosophy in general. I don't
43 >> think that means that we can't have reasonable CFLAGS. Otherwise we
44 >> wouldn't set CFLAGS at all and would just use whatever defaults the
45 >> upstream build system applies. We're a distro - doing integration
46 >> work is a value-add, not a sin. If we aren't doing integration, then
47 >> users might as well just do Linux-from-scratch.
48 >>
49 >> Rich
52 > Past events have led me to think that we are sometimes too dependent on
53 > upstream for guidance. I have certainly deviated from upstream whenever
54 > it made sense and the results have been fairly positive. I am not saying
55 > that acting for the best interests of Gentoo is mutually exclusive with
56 > collaboration with upstream, but I am saying that the two sometimes
57 > conflict. This being one of them. I am taking this opportunity to point
58 > out that what is best for Gentoo should come first and that it is okay
59 > to make decisions on our own.
62 I just checked the kernel's makefiles. It does pass -fno-stack-protector
63 when the option is disabled. Therefore a GCC spec file change will not
64 have cause GCC to generate kernels that differ from their .config files.