From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: KDE split ebuilds
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:33:58
1 Dan Armak posted <200503162229.21736.danarmak@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:29:21 +0200:
3
4 > On Tuesday 15 March 2005 21:25, Tom Wesley wrote:
5 >> Hey
6 >>
7 >> I've seen several queries regarding KDE's new split ebuilds and the
8 >> version numbers used for specific packages. It seems that all of the
9 >> KDE 3.4 packages have been versioned as 3.4.
10 >>
11 >> Should kmail, kopete etc not be using their own version numbers with the
12 >> meta-packages being versioned based on the kde release number?
13 >> IMO this would make more sense, especially when reading the kopete website,
14 >> finding the latest version is 0.9.2 and then noticing that portage only
15 >> has 3.4.
16 > In my experience most KDE users have no idea offhand what the individual app
17 > versions are and which versions belong to which kde.org release. They'd be
18 > confused.
19 >
20 > If a lot of users told me I'm wrong, I guess I'd be willing to concede this
21 > point...
22
23 This seems an appropriate place to mention that I was pleasantly surprised
24 to see an ARTS version that actually matched the KDE version, this time
25 around. =8^) I always wondered why they hadn't jumped the version to
26 match, and am glad it happened now, regardless of whether it was Gentoo or
27 KDE that made the decision.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list