From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eclass: scons.eclass
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:52:24
1 On Tuesday 24 of August 2010 10:30:12 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 19:36:50 +0200
3 >
4 > Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > If SCons is unpredictable, then don't provide *any* phases and only
6 > > functions and rename it to scons-utils to match its purpose.
7 >
8 > It is as predictable as the buildsystem meeting the default phase
9 > functions requirements -- we can configure it, compile it but no way of
10 > knowing what should be done in 'install' for sure.
11 >
12 > > What I hate is deliberately introduced inconsistency in ebuild API's.
13 >
14 > What I hate is replicating bad practices just because someone else did
15 > that before. If I'm wrong, then please point me the relation between
16 > a particular buildsystem and patching.
17
18 Ideologically there's none, but practically build system may need patching in
19 eclass to fit Gentoo needs. And it's better to do it officially in eclass
20 src_prepare phase than hack around elsewhere.
21 Either provide all buildsystem related phases or none - I'm already tired of
22 playing "guess which phase from which eclass takes precedence when multiple
23 inheritance is used" game.
26 regards
27 MM