From: Dan Armak <ermak@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild Quantity vs. Quality
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 05:49:32
1 Hi all,
2
3 I want to discuss the following matter:
4 Gentoo does not have really many ebuilds yet, compared with other large
5 distributions' packages (e.g. Slackware) or with FreeBSD which has thousands
6 of ports.
7
8 drobbins said in his post about teams that each team should maintain a
9 development tree and a stable one. Now, for the development tree, it's easy
10 enough to go ahead and browse some software directory (or simply the sources
11 of some large distro) and create ebuilds whenever it's easy to do so, e.g. in
12 all the simple configure/make/make install scenarios.
13
14 1. Should we do this? The goal would be to provide an ebuild for almost any
15 package to people who want that particular package. These ebuilds shouldn't
16 be built as part of the pre-compiled systems.
17
18 2. What would be the rule for moving ebuilds from the development tree to the
19 stable one? If an ebuild is this simple (configure/make/make install), than
20 it should _always_ work as long as the package's Makefile is OK. So it would
21 seem there's no point to testing such ebuilds much.
24 Dan Armak