From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/acl
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 18:24:33
1 On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 13:41:25 -0400
2 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > In your own words what benefit does this have over
5 > kernel_linux? ( acl? ( sys-apps/acl ))
6
7 It moves all of the platform-conditional voodoo into one place, which
8 helps maintainability and will greatly reduce the work involved in
9 adding a new port that may use a different package for ACL support. We
10 had a lengthy discussion on this topic between the *BSD and portage
11 teams some time last year, and the consensus was that the correct
12 solution was to move all the deps that change between platforms into
13 one place (the new-style virtual category). I haven't seen anything
14 change that would make for a different conclusion were the same
15 discussion to happen now. Especially when more packages appear which
16 are widely depended upon and change between platforms, and more
17 platforms are added, this approach will greatly reduce the maintenance
18 burden that Gentoo/Alt projects place upon the main tree.
19 --
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list