From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: killing mediawiki
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 17:49:37
1 On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 10:31:20PM -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 1:39 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > All,
5 > >
6 > > some of us have talked about this on IRC off and on, but I want to bring
7 > > it up here as well.
8 > >
9 > > I don't care that we have a wiki, but can we please look into killing
10 > > mediawiki and look at something with a git backend? It would be very
11 > > nice to be able to edit wiki pages in markdown or another similar format
12 > > and use git to control the changes instead of editing in a browser.
13 >
14 > I assume that your primary reason for wanting to replace mediawiki is
15 > to improve accessibility. I suggest you state that more clearly when
16 > making such a proposal.
17
18 Everyone would benefit, so it isn't specifically tied to that. I see it
19 more tied to universal design, which accessibility is a part of.
20
21 If you want to edit with a browser like you do now, you would be able
22 to continue doing that. But, if you want to edit files locally and use
23 git to push your changes, that would be an option as well.
24
25 William