From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE="gui"
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 04:45:54
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > hasufell posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 22:34:04 +0200 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> USE flags in gentoo are the best and the worst thing at the same time.
5 >> They are also mostly the main reason people don't like gentoo, because
6 >> USE flags are (for todays situation) pretty much not an appropriate
7 >> pattern to reflect real-world configuration. To be more precise... USE
8 >> flags are first-class citizens and there is only one layer of them.
9 > I agree with the one-layer problem, but just to say, without something
10 > like USE flags, despite their single-layer-problem, I'd not be using
11 > gentoo. Perhaps better can be done, but in the absence of better at the
12 > moment, for better or worse, USE flags do get the job done, and I'd hate
13 > to be without either them or an at least equally (if not more) powerful
14 > replacement.
17 +1
18
19 If there is not some way to disable/enable things, there is little point
20 is using Gentoo. Actually, Gentoo loses something huge that makes
21 Gentoo different. Besides, how would you tell a package how and what to
22 compile without USE flags??
23
24 Dale
25