From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Packaging changes in LLVM 10
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 08:24:02
Hi,

Since 10.0.0 final is around the corner, I'd like to take a minute to
inform developers of packaging changes in Gentoo that affect its
revdeps.  Following frequently repeated requests from Gentoo developers
and users, LLVM 10 is stopping to use BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON, i.e. split
shared libraries.  Instead, we'll be using the 'dylib' model recommended
upstream.

This means that sys-devel/{llvm,clang} no longer install those small
libLLVM*.so and libclang*.so files.  Instead, one big libLLVM-${ver}.so
and libclang-cpp.so.${sover} are installed (yes, I know this historical
inconsistency sucks).  Also note that Clang continues installing
libclang.so which is a *C* (not C++) library.

Most of LLVM revdeps should not have problem with LLVM dylib, as it was
the de-facto standard on other distros.  llvm-config handles it
transparently.  If you're dealing with a custom build system that
doesn't handle it, it's as simple as trying '-lLLVM' first (note that
you will '-L' due to slotting).

Clang revdeps may have trouble with clang-cpp library since it's
a fairly recent addition.  Again, the solution is simple: '-lclang-cpp'
(repeating: do not confuse it with -lclang which is a different library
for historical reasons).

sys-devel/lld does not install any libraries anymore.  If you ever need
them, please ping me and we'll try to come up with something upstream.

dev-util/lldb installs liblldb.so.  However, I'm not familiar with that
library and I don't know if it has any consumers.

If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ping me.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny