From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce <gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Packaging changes in LLVM 10
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 08:24:02
1 Hi,
2
3 Since 10.0.0 final is around the corner, I'd like to take a minute to
4 inform developers of packaging changes in Gentoo that affect its
5 revdeps. Following frequently repeated requests from Gentoo developers
6 and users, LLVM 10 is stopping to use BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON, i.e. split
7 shared libraries. Instead, we'll be using the 'dylib' model recommended
8 upstream.
9
10 This means that sys-devel/{llvm,clang} no longer install those small
11 libLLVM*.so and libclang*.so files. Instead, one big libLLVM-${ver}.so
12 and libclang-cpp.so.${sover} are installed (yes, I know this historical
13 inconsistency sucks). Also note that Clang continues installing
14 libclang.so which is a *C* (not C++) library.
15
16 Most of LLVM revdeps should not have problem with LLVM dylib, as it was
17 the de-facto standard on other distros. llvm-config handles it
18 transparently. If you're dealing with a custom build system that
19 doesn't handle it, it's as simple as trying '-lLLVM' first (note that
20 you will '-L' due to slotting).
21
22 Clang revdeps may have trouble with clang-cpp library since it's
23 a fairly recent addition. Again, the solution is simple: '-lclang-cpp'
24 (repeating: do not confuse it with -lclang which is a different library
25 for historical reasons).
26
27 sys-devel/lld does not install any libraries anymore. If you ever need
28 them, please ping me and we'll try to come up with something upstream.
29
30 dev-util/lldb installs liblldb.so. However, I'm not familiar with that
31 library and I don't know if it has any consumers.
32
33 If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ping me.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny