From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: lxnay@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC:sys-apps/portage @overlay atoms postfix support
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 20:24:38
1 Robert Buchholz wrote:
2 > # emerge --update lsof @system
3 >
4 > versus
5 >
6 > # emerge --update lsof@system
7 >
8 > would have completely different meanings. This is what I would dislike
9 > about the '@' character. I'm ok with :: though.
10
11 I agree the :: looks like the better option here.
12
13 > If we use repo_name as the overlay identifier, we must rethink how
14 > layman-global.txt is currently handled. Many overlays in there have
15 > that file missing, and some have different identifiers than what layman
16 > displays as their name.
17
18 I think layman should simply start to use the repo_name as identifier.
19 That should result in less confusion, I'd think. Overlays that miss the
20 repo_name file are broken and should be fixed, and should be ignored
21 until they are.
22
23 Cheers,
24 --
25 Ben de Groot
26 Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)
27 Gentoo Linux Release Engineering PR liaison