From: "José Fonseca" <j_r_fonseca@××××××××.uk>
To: Nick Jones <carpaski@××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Script to clean old files from /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:22:12
1 On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 09:28:49PM -0600, Nick Jones wrote:
2 > metadata is _not_ something you should be using. metadata is a
3 > quick-search cache database that is updated remotely. It has a basic
4 > link to your system, but should in no way be used to determine
5 > settings and data as it can be out of date. It's primary purpose is
6 > for searching. /var/cache/edb/dep is a valid, local system cache.
7
8 Thanks! I hadn't noticed the existence of /var/cache/edb/dep. Using it
9 instead of /usr/portage/metadata/cache works flawlessly.
10
11 All interested, please check the attached new version. It includes all
12 suggestions which were made so far. It requires >=sed-4.0, otherwise
13 replace "xargs sed -s" by "xargs -l sed". If there aren't further
14 corrections/suggestions then I'll create a bug in bugzilla for it.
15
16 > Try this:
17 >
18 > FEATURES="mirror" emerge -efp world | ...
19
20 Unfortunately when doing this, emerge starts complaining that it can't
21 satisfy dependencies.
22
23 Regards,
24