From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:58:25
1 On 05-11-2007 20:32:09 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > > > > More (generic) unix-able.
3 > > >
4 > > > Exactly so :)
5 > >
6 > > Not really as long as not being bourne shell compatible like autoconf's
7 > > configure. I won't trust to have a POSIX shell like /bin/ksh everywhere,
8 > > but /bin/sh only, which usually is just a bourne shell on "unix".
9 >
10 > As I said above, portage could change this.
11 > Think of it as an #ifdef :)
12
13 We already (have to) do this, and it is not as trivial as you think.
14
15 Though, as Mike pointed out, we sort of all agree that scripts outside
16 of portage should be POSIX sh.
20 Fabian Groffen
21 Gentoo on a different level
22 --