From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:41:26
1 Hi!
2
3 On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Steven J. Long wrote:
4 > Thanks, that sounds reasonable: one minor nitpick, though. Could you not
5 > call it 'stdnet'? Since from all the other discussion it appears like this
6 > is not going away soon for the vast majority of users, but simply being
7 > maintained as another package, which makes sense. And it is the standard Gentoo
8 > networking setup.
9 >
10 > That way, 'newnet' is clearly a more modern variant, but no-one's disparaging
11 > the traditional setup, which is after all, still the default.
12
13 +1 It is something that had me puzzled for quite a while. Was I
14 supposed to migrate? Was the current somehow broken?
15
16 I'm still not quite sure what newnet does that oldnet doesn't, or
17 why somebody felt it was necessary to make a new package (and no,
18 let's not discuss that here). Whatever it is, ideally, it would
19 reflected in the name(s). And package descriptions.
20
21 Regards,
22 Tobias