From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 04:55:40
1 On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 15:40:20 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'm not sure what you mean by "stabilization graph". I'm guessing you
5 > mean the dependency graph for stable keywords?
6 >
7 > Valid dependency graphs are determined by whatever our tooling deems
8 > valid. The tooling could be updated to permit amd64 packages to depend
9 > on noarch packages, and vice-versa.
10
11 No, its worse than that :/
12
13 If X is "noarch" and its dependency Y is "amd64", then a user on "sparc"
14 will be able to install "X", but not its dependency "Y".
15
16 And thus, the error from portage will:
17
18 - Take longer to produce
19 - Be less clear
20
21 And any tooling that exposes "noarch" as "you can install this" will be
22 wrong, because instead of the KEYWORDS being an independent declaration
23 of usability, the entire dependency graph has to be checked for usability.
24
25 Thus, end users will have portage erroring that a no-arch package is
26 not available due to its dependencies being impossible to satisfy.
27
28 And, as a QA measure, we'd have to make that condition illegal.
29
30 And the only way to do that, would be for CI to reject packages that
31 are "noarch" and depend on things that are in turn, not "noarch".